Low Fat Pulled Pork Sandwich
Oh yum! Now you can enjoy a “pulled pork” sandwich without all the fat!
Pulled Pork has its roots in the U.S. South, and traditionally uses pork shoulder, a notoriously fatty part of the pig. Slow cooking it for hours will render fall-apart shreddable pork which while delicious, is not on any health food menu—ever!
However, if you don’t have hours, and don’t want to consume large quantities of fat, this recipe is for you!
Use a lean cut of pork like pork tenderloin, center cut, or a trimmed pork chop for this Low fat “Pulled Pork” Sandwich. Instead of relying on fat to make the meat shreddable, we cut it as if it were shredded.
It still has the all the pork and barbecue flavor with some added deliciousness of its own on top. You’ll not only love that this healthy pulled pork sandwich is quick, easy, and guilt-free, but you’ll love the taste too!
Low Fat Pulled Pork Sandwich Recipe
4 ounces lean pork
2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup onions, caramelized
1 whole whole wheat bun
1/4 cup red cabbage, shredded
2 slices dill pickle
1. Cook pork in the oven until cooked through.
2. Let it rest at room temperature and then slice it thin. Then cut the slices into small pieces so it appears shredded.
3. Mix the barbecue sauce and water together in a bowl.
4. Add shredded pork, and caramelized onions, and toss all together.
5. Spread pork mixture on bottom half of the bun, and top with red cabbage then pickles.
1. Make sure you use lean pork like pork tenderloin or well-trimmed center cut.
2. For the caramelized onions, just slice onions and cook on medium high heat with cooking spray.
What to Serve with Low Fat Pulled Pork Sandwich
If you’re a fan of barbecue, try our Healthy BBQ Chicken Pizza!
Check out our U.S. Food Buck List of the 20 must try foods of the U.S.!