Lox and Whole Wheat Bagel
Bagels are a staple food of American breakfasts..
Growing up in New York, I felt special tagging along with my dad to get bagels on Saturday mornings. My favorite were the salt bagels.
I think that was before salt was bad for you.
And it was before white flour was bad for you.
Does that mean we should give up on Bagels? No, we’re just going to make it a little healthier!
First step—Choose whole wheat or whole grain when you can.
Step 2—Make it a balanced breakfast with Lox and a Whole Wheat Bagel!
Even when I was a kid, fish was good for you, but there was no way I was putting fish on a bagel at that age!
Now I prefer my bagels with lox—and all the fixins!
Lox and Whole Wheat Bagel Recipe
1 whole-wheat bagel thin, toasted
1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese
2 teaspoons capers
2 1/2 ounces lox
3 slices raw tomato
2 slices red onion
2 teaspoons fresh dill, chopped
1. Spread both sides of the bagel with cream cheese.
2. Sprinkle capers on top of cream cheese on both sides.
3. Divide the remaining ingredients between the 2 halves of bagel and layer in the order above.
1. If you cannot find bagel thins, just cut a small slice out of the middle of a bagel.
2. Try Gravlax or Nova lox for a little more flavor.
1. You can prep all ingredients ahead, but don't assemble it until you are ready to eat it.